the colonial theatre marquee

History

The Colonial Theatre persists because of bold people who pursued their dreams. Norman Cousins once said “What holds people back today is not the pressures of realities but the absence of dreams. If dreams are good enough, no realities can stand against them.”

Phoenixville was, and still is, home to more than a few of these daring prospectors of uncharted waters, of big dreamers and artistic, broad-minded types. And the Colonial Theater persists today because of them.

Harry Brownback (late 1800s – early 1900s)

The Colonial Theatre was built by one Harry Brownback, a man whose family had played an early role in Chester County, Pennsylvania. His youth was spent among the beautiful rolling hills of Chester County during the late nineteenth century. Harry’s father ran The Seven Stars Inn, a tavern still operational today on Route 23 in Spring City, which his family had owned since 1736. He (father) also served as pastor of the nearby German Reformed Church, also built by his forebearers in 1741. When his mother was widowed, Harrys older brother, Ben, took over managing the family tavern. Not much else is known about Harry’s earlier years, other than that after he married, he and his bride lived for a time at 145 Gay Street in Phoenixville. We also know that Harry was ambitious and hardworking. He became secretary and treasurer of Griffin-Smith-Hill Pottery, producers of Majolica, which was located at the bottom of Church Street. In 1901 a fire and a number of financial setbacks forced Harry and the rest of the board of directors to make a difficult and painful decision. The world famous pottery plant would have to close down.

Out of work, Harry Brownback found something he hadn’t had before: time on his hands to pursue a dream. In the difficulties that ended his career in industry, Harry saw an opportunity. He had always loved the theater and often told his friends that he dreamed of bringing top quality productions to Phoenixville. He dreamed of seeing stage shows, right in town, that would, as he said, “satisfy New Yorkers but at a fraction of the cost to theater patrons.” At the time Phoenixville was a thriving industrial town known as the “Gateway to Valley Forge” and had a population of about 2,000.

Brownback purchased and renovated two storefronts to create the Colonial Theatre.

With his new found freedom and his income from the sale of the plant, he purchased two adjoining properties on Bridge Street in downtown Phoenixville, next to what then housed the town’s newspaper The Daily Republican.  When his theater was completed it shared the still unpaved Bridge Street with businesses like a fish monger, a furrier, a paperhanger, a “Bargain 5 & 10 Cent Store,” a tailor, a confectioner, a jeweler, a hotel, a hardware store and an assortment of dry goods stores. Harry, and the Colonial Opera House he built at a total cost of $30,000, had come to life.

Look closely and you can see the original Wurlitzer pipe organ in front of the stage.

1903

  • The first stage show is held on Saturday, September 5th. Internationally known actor, Fred E. Wright, stars in the musical extravaganza The Beauty Doctor.
  • A series of four, one-reelers lasting 40 minutes each is shown on Saturday, Dec. 19th: the first movie presentation at the Colonial Theatre.

 

1915

  • D. W. Griffith’s controversial two-hour civil war movie The Birth of a Nation plays at the Colonial.
  • Actress Mary Pickford visits her friend Harry Brownback on her way to the Rajah Theatre in Reading, PA.

1916

  • Another of Brownback’s friends, Thurston, the world-famous magician, performs at the Colonial.

1917

  • The Great Harry Houdini performs at the Colonial. Before an audience of 300 he frees himself from a burglar-proof safe.
  • The Colonial assembles its own orchestra led by Fred Neiman, Phoenixville’s local mortician, as well as an excellent violinist.
  • A Wurlitzer organ is purchased and installed, and twenty minute organ recitals are presented just before the Fox Movietone News.
  • Silent features continue to be accompanied by piano.

1918

  • Phoenixville now has three downtown theatres. Sample fare includes Theda Bara in The Forbidden Path at the Colonial; Kitty Gordon in Divine Sacrifice at the New-Phoenix (Main and Hall Streets); and William S. Hart in Dusty Trails at the Savoy (North Main Street).

1925

  • The Colonial presents its last stage show, Very Good Eddie, which began a successful run on Broadway in 1915.

1928

  • The first talkie, The Jazz Singer, is shown at the Colonial.

1929

  • The Phoenixville Kiwanis Club stages The Mikado, which runs for two nights and stars George Andrews, Kiwanis President.

The Torch Passes (1930 – 1975)

The Colonial went on to serve Phoenixville through both World Wars, the Great Depression, and the tumultuous 1960’s. A diverse assemblage of dedicated owners loved it and worked, sometimes against tremendous odds, to keep it alive. But they each shared Brownback’s vision of bringing the best programs to Phoenixville at affordable admissions prices.

With the addition of sound to film in the 1920’s, the subsequent three decades saw the flowering of cinema and the Colonial enjoyed it’s movie hey-day, though it never abandoned it’s original goal of presenting live theatre.

In the late 1950’s, owners Coane and Pizor passed the mantle of ownership to a group of businessmen headed by George Silverman. Silverman owned a number of movie theaters in Philadelphia. The group refurbished the theater, adding new seats, a larger screen, improved heating and air conditioning and even a small bookstore in a section of the Colonial. In 1957 Good News Productions produced The Blob starring a young Stephen (not yet Steve) McQueen. Scenes from the movie were filmed at the Colonial and other spots in and around Phoenixville. The marquee proudly announces that the theatre is ‘healthfully air conditioned’. Another decade passes with relative success. Silverman’s group was profit-oriented, but they also cared about keeping the theater available for local talent. Popular Hollywood films were standard Colonial fare and occasional local benefit shows rounded out the offering.

Despite the renovations undertaken by Silverman’s group, the Colonial Theatre had difficulty competing with the new crop of large chain theatres. The industry began spreading into the suburbs.

In 1963 another Phoenixville theatre, the Rialto, was torn down to make way for a new YMCA at Main and Church Streets. It was now clear that older movie houses like the Colonial were in trouble. In the next few years the Silverman group sold the Colonial to local Phoenixville merchant, Walter Straub. At the time Straub owned three other businesses in Phoenixville, including two dress shops on Bridge Street. He struggled to keep the theatre going and by 1975, the Colonial’s future rested on the shoulders of Eric Knudsen. Straub and Knudsen made a deal that would enable Knudsen to take over management of the theatre with a lease-for-purchase agreement.

The Colonial facade as it appears in The Blob.

The Colonial facade circa 1958.

 

Knudsen, Breneman and LaRosa (1975 – 1995)

In his early twenties, Knudsen, brought life back to the Colonial, fueled by a passion born of memories of visits to Radio City with his father. The stage came alive with concerts, an annual magic show, and a Halloween show. Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing was performed by the National Players from Washington, D.C. and a live Wild West Show was presented by Buffalo Bill. On Saturdays he held children’s matinees and charged ten cents, recouping the cost for the film in candy and popcorn revenue. Knudsen devoted all of his free time into the painstaking restoration of much of the Colonial Theatre, living in an apartment behind the theatre’s mezzanine. He repaired its leaky roof and, armed with just a cleaning agent and elbow grease, removed the years of accumulated soot and grease that covered the spectacular mural above the lobby. He carpeted and wallpapered the men’s and women’s lounges, and even wired the projection screen with counter weights so it could be raised up into the fly space to make more stage room for live shows. The same year that Knudsen took over management of the theater, he was contacted by Jim Breneman, a young accountant from the area who was looking for a place to store his twenty-ton Kimball organ. Breneman’s own dream, which he shared with friend and master organ restorer Sam LaRosa, was to use the theatre to stage organ recitals. Knudsen liked their ideas and offered them the use of the theatre.

By 1978 Knudsen was beginning to realize that despite his passion for the Colonial Theatre, he lacked the financial acumen to operate in the black. Unable to garner enough financial support to continue running the theatre, he reluctantly bowed out of the lease-for-purchase agreement he had entered into with Straub three years prior and Breneman agreed to buy the Colonial.

Jim Breneman was a student at Drexel University when in 1966 he attended his first organ recital on campus. The majestic chords of a classical organ enthralled him. “It was the greatest thing since indoor plumbing,” he reminisced. He was only 21 years-old at the time, but he knew that one day he would have an organ to play the beautiful music that so captured him that evening. In 1967 Breneman signed a contract to buy a long-dormant, 38 year-old Kimball organ in bad disrepair from the owners of the State Theatre at 52nd and Chestnut Streets in West Philadelphia. The organ was a bargain at just $1,510. Undaunted by his lack of knowledge or skill at organ repair, Jim and his friend Sam LaRosa made arrangements to install the organ in the Brookline Theatre in Havertown, Pennsylvania. In 1973 a heavy storm hit Havertown and impacted the Brookline, badly damaging the organ. The floor had been previously water damaged by a storm in 1928 and was never allowed to completely dry before being repaired. When the 1973 storm flooded the theater again, the Kimball, sitting on what was an already weakened floor, fell through it, crashing down into the theater’s basement. Sam La Rosa helped Breneman move his dearly loved and badly broken organ to a garage. At a point where many others would have been defeated, Jim began to look for a new home for his beloved Kimball organ. His search brought him to the Colonial Theater and Erik Knudsen.

The Colonial was now primarily a movie theater. But Breneman continued to try to attract local talent for live stage shows and worked at building local interest in his organ recitals. At one time during Breneman’s tenure, the famed organist Larry Ferrari played on the organ at the Colonial, declaring it a “magnificent instrument.” In 1980 Don Kinnier, from Ephrata, Pennsylvania, became the regular organist for Sunday afternoon recitals. The recitals shared the Sunday program of silent films, sing-a-longs, stage shows and the occasional vaudeville act.

The Colonial’s circa 1980s brick facade.

In 1985, illness forced Breneman to curtail his hours and LaRosa began to shoulder the theater’s day-to-day operations.

In 1991, after a continual decline in his health, Jim Breneman died of heart failure. On October 13th of that year a memorial concert was held in his honor at the Colonial. The following year LaRosa purchased the Colonial and the Kimball organ, hoping to continue Breneman’s dream for the theatre and the organ. But after a four-year effort at trying to build a broader audience for his first love, organ recitals, and unable to support the theatre with receipts from feature films, LaRosa sold the organ to the Chicago Historical Society and closed the doors of the Colonial Theatre.

Association for the Colonial Theatre (ACT) (1996 – present day)

On December 8, 1996 the Phoenixville Area Economic Development Corporation (PAEDCO), purchased the Colonial Theatre under the direction of Barbara Cohen. Their intent was to restore it for use as a community theater. At the same time, Mary Foote and Trish Himes, both Phoenixville residents and faithful patrons of the Colonial Theatre, shared a strong interest in saving it. Both women also saw the potential in the area for a community theatre. Out of their shared vision, the nonprofit Association for the Colonial Theater (ACT) was formed.

In 1997 ACT signed an agreement with PAEDCO to purchase the theatre and for the next year they worked toward re-opening the Colonial by organizing a board, developing a business plan and doing market research. In 1998 ACT hired Carnevale Eustis Architects, developed a capital campaign and began work to restore the Colonial Theatre for occupancy and functionality.

On October 1, 1999 the Colonial Theatre re-opened with a screening of the German film, Run Lola Run. It would devote its stage and screen to arthouse and independent films, children’s programming, and classic films offered on its original 35mm projection system.

2002

  • The Colonial Theatre’s facade is refinished in a style reminiscent of the 1950s look it bore in The Blob.
  • Through generous grants from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC), the Chester County Conference and Visitors Bureau, and the Phoenixville Community Health Foundation the marquee is re-lit in December 2002.
  • ACT experiences a 28% jump in attendance.
  • Phase III fundraising begins.

2003

  • The Special Events Committee organizes a series of live events celebrating the 100 year anniversary of the Colonial. The Phoenixville JayCees make the Colonial the center of the annual Dogwood Parade by incorporating the theme Meet Me at the Movies – a nod to the theatre’s long history in the community. Wes Shank, caretaker of the Blob and the original Blob itself are appointed parade marshals.
  • The roof is replaced to prevent future water damage.
  • Restrooms are expanded as ACT anticipates a growing audience would result from expanded programming in 2004.
  • The ‘Take a Seat’ Campaign is launched in August to help pay for new theatre seats. The Chester County Conference and Visitors Bureau, The William Penn Foundation, The Arcadia Foundation, The Claneil Foundation and Phoenixville Community Health Foundation came on board to support this phase of restoration.
  • ACT reports that 95,000 patrons have visited the Colonial Theatre for a variety of programs under its stewardship.
  • A live concert series in collaboration with Point Entertainment begins in September.

2004

  • Phase IV planning and fundraising begins with a goal of renovating the second and third floors above the lobby for office space and a party/meeting room.
  • The renovation of the box office is completed.

2005

  • ACT embarks on an eight month strategic plan through support from the William Penn Foundation and the Phoenixville Community Health Foundation.
  • The first annual report is published and reflects the first five years of ACT’s stewardship and operation of the Colonial Theatre.
  • Construction plans continue and ACT reports funds totalling $600,000 raised for the last two phases of work, bringing the total raised for capital improvements close to $2 million. Supporters include the Phoenixville Community Health Foundation, The William Penn Foundation, The Claneil Foundation, The Chester County Conference and Visitors Bureau, The Chester County Department of Community Development, and an Anchor Building Loan from the Pennsylvania Department of Economic and Community Development.
  • 35,000 people visit the Colonial Theatre in 2005 for film, concerts, children’s programs, and community events.
  • ACT’s partnership with Point Entertainment brings Johnny Winter, Tommy Emmanuel, Richie Havens to the stage.

2006

  • An elevator is added, making the office and third floors accessible.
  • The renovation of the office space on the second floor is completed.
  • Funding for the renovation of the third floor continues.
  • ACT hires an Assistant Director, per recommendations in the strategic plan. It also upgrades computer systems and the website.
  • A summer live children’s series launches with the goal of entertaining children and families and fostering their appreciation for the Colonial Theatre. A collaboration with the Phoenixville Public Library also brings their free ‘Thrilling Thursdays’ series to the Colonial, attracting hundreds of visitors.

2007

  • ACT teams up with the French and Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust (FPCCT) to host the first annual Bringin’ Home the Bacons Benefit Concert for Conservation and Culture. The concert nets $37,000 for each organization. ACTs funds are earmarked for the renovation of our third floor as a community room, allowing us to present additional film screenings, lectures, classes and special events. Philosophically it makes sense that people who enjoy the urban groove of Phoenixville and all its amenities also understand the importance of preserving our open space in order to improve the quality of all our lives throughout the region.

2009

  • Per goals established in the 2005 strategic plan, Barlow and Associates is hired to evaluate the future efficacy one-screen movie theatre, addressing how the Colonial can possibly grow, sustain a donor base, and continue to have an impact on the community. The results of the study are clear: ACT must expand in order to ensure future revenue growth and success. Two ways to achieve growth via a capital expansion are presented: dig below the theatre or purchase the available building next door to add additional movie screens. ACT decides to investigate the financial implications of expansion.
  • A ticketing system is implemented to allow patrons to purchase tickets with credit cards and online for the very first time.
  • Point Entertainment concert ticketing is also brought in-house, saving patrons high ticketing fees and allowing ACT to build a larger base of supporters, track patron’s programmatic interest, and maintain a contribution history.

2010

  • ACT commissions Webb Management to conduct an Expansion Demand Planning Study. The results help ACT determine the kinds of programming that could be successful in an expanded Colonial, if ACT were to purchase the historic 1924 National Bank of Phoenixville Building. The board determines that the organization’s goal will be to become a ‘first-run’ art house through the addition of two new theaters and a renovated historic auditorium. This combination of activities would enable ACT to deepen patron engagement and significantly expand film and live programs. Webb Management then undertakes the evaluation and activities needed to determine whether this expansion plan will be financially feasible and successful from a revenue standpoint.
  • ACT invites Firebird Theatre to begin to work with young people at the Colonial, producing a yearly play and live holiday event.

2011

  • On December 10, 2011, ACT purchases the historic 1924 National Bank of Phoenixville building next door at 225 Bridge Street. The real estate market and the plans of that building’s owners (The Phoenix and Journal Register), made it an opportune time to buy the Colonial Theatre’s future expansion site. Visionary donors make the building purchase possible.
  • ACT’s Board of Directors and many other community leaders participate in the Expansion Demand Study and Business Plan led by Webb Management. The plan is supported in part by a grant from the William Penn Foundation and revenues from the 2011 Bringin’ Back the Bacons Benefit Concert for Conservation and Culture. The plan aims to provide information to help determine how the Bank can be best utilized to maximize enjoyment and revenues.
  • Carnevale-Eustis Architects is hired to conceive of an architectural plan. Cosler Theatre Design, Inc. contributes to the plan, which incorporates both a building expansion and the final renovation/restoration of the 1903 auditorium. The plan includes a spacious, light-filled lobby in the Bank building that can accommodate a sold-out concert (658 patrons). Two theatres (one in the Bank’s lower level and one spanning two floors in the back of the building) will be created for additional films and smaller live events.
  • The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania approves a RACP (Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program) grant to enable the restoration of the Bank’s facade.

2012

  • A Master Plan for the building expansion and historic restoration is completed by Carnevale Eustis Architects.
  • Consultant Susan Palmer (The North Group) is hired to conduct a Campaign Planning Study. This fundraising feasibility study will assess the community’s interest in and willingness to support the project with the required level of support. A community task force of 35 members is interviewed and the results are positive. The Task Force responses suggest that ACT has the capacity within its community of interest to launch a multi-million dollar campaign. However, rather than undertaking the expansion and restoration at once, the project will proceed in two separate phases. Phase I will involve the adaptive reuse of the Bank building and restoration of the lobby and box office of the original Colonial Theatre. Phase II would occur at a later time and consist of the restoration of the 1903 auditorium and balcony, technical upgrades of the stage area, restoration of the lobby mural, and reconfiguration of the lobby and original concession. The two-phase approach will enable the theatre to continue regular programming during the expansion, assess operations as a three-screen theatre, and plan for a Phase II with minimal disruption to programs.

2013

  • A Campaign Team is assembled and quiet fundraising begins for Phase I.
  • ACT’s staff expands to include a Development Associate, hired to support the Executive Director in project fundraising.
  • Phoenixville Community Health Foundation pledges $250,000 to the capital campaign,  bringing the fundraising-to-date to over one third of the goal.

2014

  • As programming in our beautiful single-screen theatre continued, the campaign team progressed with the planning and execution of the expansion plans into the building next door.
  • The Bank’s facade restoration is completed via the RACP grant: architectural cast stone on the building’s face is re-pointed, windows are restored, and light fixtures cleaned and repaired. In the evenings, the building is nicely lit and enhances the downtown streetscape.

2015

  • French & Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust once again joins with the Colonial to welcome back the Bacon Brothers for a benefit performance. The show is a near sell-out.
  • Pledges and gifts to the capital campaign total $5M.
  • Several funders support the Young Audiences series (children’s live and film programs) with generous grants: PECO, Pfizer Community Giving, and Agnes C. and Robert L. Bard Foundation.
  • The Colonial serves up a saucy 4th Annual All-night Splatterfest Italian Horror Film Marathon and Blobfest welcomes Ricou Brown, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, as its special guest.

2016

  • The Colonial kicks off construction of its new wing with a public Groundbreaking Ceremony in April 2016. Legislators, Phoenixville’s Mayor and Borough Council President, and an estimated 200 community members, patrons, and members attend the outdoor ceremony and reception.
  • Demolition and construction progress inside the Bank. One of the stairs leading to the Colonial’s balcony is completely removed to prepare the area for the eventual lobby connection between the original theatre and new wing.
  • In December 2016, offices (located behind the marquee on the balcony level) begin to be reconfigured to accommodate the Colonial Theatre’s growing staff and anticipate future hires.
  • The box office is enlarged to include two terminals and the entrance is enlarged by six feet by moving the outer doors closer to Bridge Street.
  • The Colonial hosts Science on Screen® via a grant from the Coolidge Corner Theatre Foundation with support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation.

2017

  • In anticipation of increased audiences and programming, the staff implement a new ticketing and fundraising software duo. New point-of-sale terminals are installed in the box office and new concession/bar. They will allow for better reporting, quicker event setup, more info capture, and enhanced marketing.
  • The Colonial Theatre secures its liquor license and prepares to offer beer and wine to patrons.
  • Construction ends and the new wing has its ‘soft open’ in March 2017 with a preview party for campaign supporters.
  • A full time Marketing Director and Technology & Facilities Director join the staff, along with an Assistant House Manager. The Colonial also hires Box Officers and Concessionists.
  • For the first time in its history, the Colonial Theatre hosts a live concert (Carl Palmer) and two feature films simultaneously.
  • Patrons and members gather to enjoy Phoenixville’s Fireworks display for the first time from the rooftop deck in the new wing. The event benefits the Bank on the Arts campaign.
  • Donor recognition signage is revealed in the completed wing in December 2017.

 

The Colonial facade today. Photo by Timothy Keith.

The Colonial auditorium today.

Check out the Colonial’s Flickr stream for more great photos.