The 19th Annual Animation Show of Shows
2017. Ages 8+. 1 hour 33 minutes. Digital.
Fri., December 8, 2017 thru Wed., December 13, 2017
Ends Wed, Dec 13.
The Animation Show of Shows returns to theaters across North America this fall, presenting 16 exceptional and inspiring animated shorts from around the world. At a time of increasing social instability and global anxiety about a range of issues, the works in this year’s show have a special resonance, presenting compelling ideas about our place in society and how we fit into the world.
“Because animation is such a natural medium for dealing with abstract ideas and existential concerns,The Animation Show of Shows has always included a number of thoughtful and engaging films,” says founder and curator Ron Diamond. “However, more than in previous years, I believe that this year’s program really offers contemporary animation that expresses deeply felt issues in our own country and around the world.”
These films include Niki Lindroth von Bahr’s Annecy Grand Prix-winning The Burden, a melancholy, funny and moving film that explores the tribulations, hopes and dreams of a group of night-shift employees, uniquely capturing the zeitgeist of our time. At the other end of the spectrum, David O’Reilly’s playful and profound Everything, based on the work of the late philosopher Alan Watts, explores the interconnectedness of the universe and the multiplicity of perspectives that underlie reality.
Show times will be posted on Mon, Dec 4.
• Can You Do It – Quentin Baillieux (France)
• Tiny Big – Lia Bertels (Belgium)
• Next Door – Pete Docter (U.S.)
• The Alan Dimension – Jac Clinch (Great Britain)
• Beautiful Like Elsewhere – Elise Simard (Canada)
• Hangman – Paul Julian & Les Goldman (U.S.)
• The Battle of San Romano – Georges Schwitzgebel (Switzerland)
• Gokurosama – Aurore Gal, Clémentine Frère, Yukiko Meignien, Anna Mertz, Robin Migliorelli, & Romain Salvini(France)
• Dear Basketball – Glen Keane (U.S.)
• Island – Robert Löbel & Max Mörtl (Germany)
• Unsatisfying – Parallel Studio (France)
• The Burden – Niki Lindroth von Bahr (Sweden)
• Les Abeilles Domestiques – Alexanne Desrosiers (Canada)
• Our Wonderful Nature – The Common Chameleon – Tomer Eshed (Germany)
• Casino – Steven Woloshen (Canada)
• Everything – David OReilly (U.S.)