Facade Decorating Contest
The Blob is baaaacckk! The festival that helps define our Borough returns live and in-person for a 24th consecutive year. Support the Colonial and get freaky/festive by decorating a storefront window or your entire façade! Borough residents are invited to join in the fun.
Entrants must notify the Colonial that they will participate by email by Friday, June 30. This gives our staff and volunteers ample time to plan their judging route at a busy time of year. To enter your home, nonprofit or business, email email@example.com!
This year, judging will occur in each of three (3) categories to allow for Borough-wide participation:
- Bridge, Church & Gay Street Businesses & Nonprofits
- NEW Phoenixville At-Large Businesses & Nonprofits
- NEW Private Residences in the Borough of Phoenixville
JUDGING & PRIZES
Creations will be judged by 3 criteria: creativity, showmanship, and relation to the movie, The Blob (1958) and/or this year’s theme, Blobs and Monsters. Judges will select the 1ST and 2nd place finalists in each category and these winners will be announced during or after Blobfest weekend on the Colonial’s social media feeds and via emails sent to entrants.
Business & Nonprofit Category Prizes (in both Bridge, Church & Gay and Phoenixville At-Large):
1st Prize – One Year of FREE Screen Advertising (valued at $1,140!!!)
2nd Prize – Six Months of FREE Screen Advertising (valued at $600!!)
3rd Prize/People’s Choice – Three Months of FREE Screen Advertising (valued at $330!)
The 3rd Place prize (for businesses only) is a ‘People’s Choice’ award that is balloted (in-person at the Colonial on Saturday or online using a QR code) and depends on your early entry.
Private Residence Category Prizes:
1st Prize – Complimentary Designer-level annual Membership (valued at $500!)
2nd Prize – Complimentary Family-level annual Membership (valued at $250!)
3rd Prize – Complimentary dual Producer-level annual Membership (valued at $175!)
Note: the Private Residence category does not have a ‘People’s Choice’ award. Private Residence entries will only be judged by Colonial staff and volunteers.
HOW TO ENTER
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org by Fri, June 30 to enter.
- Decorate your window no later than Mon, July 3.
- If you’re a business or nonprofit entrant, once your window is complete Colonial Marketing staff will provide you with a QR code to display. Visitors, customers, and community members can use the QR code to vote for winners via e-ballot! Festival goers can also vote on paper at the Colonial during Blobfest weekend. (Voting is limited to one ballot per person per category.)
- Windows/Displays must be completed by Mon, July 3 to allow our staff and volunteers the time to see, judge, and document your designs!
- You must notify email@example.com by Fri, June 30 if you plan to participate.
- The Colonial Theatre is not responsible and cannot be held liable for the personal views and opinions of Blobfest contest entrants. This applies to the Costume Contest, Facade Decorating Contest, Mx. Blobfest Universe Contest, and Shorty’s Short Film Contest and any other contests occurring during a Blobfest Festival weekend.
- Blobfest Contest entrants consent to be photographed unless they notify the theatre in writing in advance that they do not wish to be photographed during the festival year in question. The Colonial Theatre is under no obligation to publicize, utilize or share any images of contest entrants captured during Blobfest.
- Blobfest Contest Entrants who troll, harass, bully or defame the Colonial Theatre, Colonial Staff or fellow (past or present) competitors, either in cyberspace/online or real life/offline, will be disqualified from participation in current and future Blobfest Contests.
- Contest Entries for Blobfest should be Family Friendly. “Family Friendly” content is defined as adhering to the Motion Picture Association’s Classification and Rating Rules for G and PG rated films. A G-rated motion picture contains nothing in theme, language, nudity, sex, violence or other matters that, in the view of Colonial Theatre staff, would offend parents whose younger children view the motion picture. The G rating is not a “certificate of approval,” nor does it signify a “children’s” motion picture. Some snippets of language may go beyond polite conversation but they are common everyday expressions. No stronger words are present in G-rated motion pictures. Depictions of violence are minimal. No nudity, sex scenes or drug use are present in the motion picture. A PG-rated motion picture should be investigated by parents before they let their younger children attend. The PG rating indicates, in the view of Colonial Theatre staff, that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, and parents should make that decision. The more mature themes in some PG-rated motion pictures may call for parental guidance. There may be some profanity and some depictions of violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance. There is no drug use content in a PG-rated motion picture.
- In any given year of Blobfest, additional rules specific to each Contest may apply and will be articulated on the Colonial Theatre’s website and in corresponding Facebook Event details.