Six years ago in May 2017, when it completed the adaptive reuse of the Bank of Phoenixville building next door, the Colonial Theatre expanded from a single-screen theatre to a three-theatre venue.
The project designed by Carnevale Eustis Architects and constructed by Caldwell, Heckles & Egan Construction garnered a Grand Jury Award from the Preservation Alliance and an Impact Award from Preservation Pennsylvania. Before the expansion, the single screen and small lobby limited the amount of programs the Colonial was able to offer the community. Immediately after, the total number of films, live arts and special events ballooned from hundreds to thousands each year!
In celebration of the Bank Wing’s six-year anniversary and National Historic Preservation Month, the nonprofit has set a goal of raising $6,000 in May for its Building Improvement Fund. The Fund will be used to modernize lighting and aspects of the stage, and for restoration work in Colonial’s original auditorium and lobby. Both wings of the Colonial have a combined age of 218 years; the Bank was completed in 1925 and the Colonial in 1902, with decorative finishes believed to have been added in later years. In 1991, the Colonial Theatre was identified as a contributing building within the Borough of Phoenixville’s Historic District.